Saturday, February 28, 2009

Black Bean & Cheese Enchiladas

This dish came to me on Ash Wednesday, whilst I was speaking to Spank about the fish tacos she was preparing. I thought that sounded quite delicious, but alas, I had eaten my last fish on Fat Tuesday (what?!). So I was left with two options to satisfy my craving for a Mexican style meal: 1) Go to the store during grocery rush hour or 2) Scour my pantry for other meatless options. Fortunately, I found a can of black beans and came up with the following concoction without that dreaded trip to the store. And when Larry doesn't miss the meat in a meatless dish, I know it's a success!

Ingredients
  • 1 Can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 Cup of your favorite salsa (I think a chunky one works well)
  • Desired Mexican seasonings (I added cumin and onion salt, but if you have a flavorful salsa, you can skip these)
  • 8 6-in tortillas (corn or flour)
  • 2 Cups shredded cheese
  • 1 Can Enchilada Sauce (I used a can of El Pato aka "The Duck" here)
  • Sour Cream (optional)

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together beans, salsa, and seasonings in a pan over low heat. Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Coat the bottom with a couple of spoonfuls of the enchilada sauce. Heat tortillas to make them easier to roll(about 20 seconds in the microwave, or 10 seconds each side on a stovetop burner). On each tortilla, place a spoonful of the bean mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Roll up and place in the baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Spray one side of the foil with cooking spray and cover the enchiladas, spray side down. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with a dollop of sour cream, if desired and serve!

1 comment:

Liserz said...

So good, we had them twice in one week!